BIGGER PICS

A click on a picture will usually give you a larger image.

Saturday 5 March 2011

Samuel Lake and Phil Rickman

There is a book due in September that is sure to be my favourite children's book of 2011. Perhaps a few of you can work out what that will be?

However, I think I have already read my favourite adult book of the year in February. It was a proof copy so I cannot quote from it or show a jacket but I can let slip the title. Published in July, 'The Homecoming of Samuel Lake' is a superb novel that you will want to read more than once and to tell all your friends about. I'll come up with a review nearer the date but meantime, note the title.

Another review we'll put on the blog soon is for Phil Rickman's 'To Dream of the Dead'. Not only is this detective novel a good read, but it could easily have been set in Moreton in Marsh, rather than near Hereford, as much of the background could apply to our town. Disputes about new housing projects, small shops versus supermarkets, even a deluge that threatens to flood the town. However, Moreton-in-Marsh does not have a Merrily Watkins, vicar and amateur detective nor a very gruesome murder.

We hope to have a special price on this book soon and may, perhaps, see if we can entice Phil over from Hereford for a signing.

No comments:

Post a Comment